Dye Sublimation, Embroidery
Polyester, poly-cotton fabric blends
18" x 18" x 1"
This digital print is the surface from which the parts that make up the hands are to be cut -- on a field of textured colors, I opted for saturated hues of unnatural colors, ones which would never be found on living skin, but those bright enough to show some form of rigor. There is a life to these hands, but not in the human sense. They have their own power, their own living idea which they represent.
Don't stop practicing: the words which make up the patterned text on this print all read this phrase, but in three different languages.
Russian: One I've known from childhood
Italian: One I've learned through years of study
German: One I've begun to learn only recently
Each of these languages are personally significant to me in some way, and that is why they are being represented on this print, and not any other number of languages which I could have randomly chosen from on a whim.
The concept I've brewed surrounding these "phantom limbs" of mine will be taking on a more tangible form, by way of 3D papercraft techniques found and developed through research online on the subject. By importing 3D meshes in to a program called Meshlab and simplifying the forms into faceted objects, they can be then imported into another program called Pepakura Designer, where they are unfolded and able to be divided into a printable template.
Due to the nature of this project, however, I couldn't just print them out and hand-cut them. Oh, no. I had to make sure they had the laser-cutter seal of approval -- so I had to trace out the lines in Photoshop so that I could import and trace them in Illustrator in order to achieve the proper vector image format for the assignment. It took approximately 45 minutes to cut each set of parts from three different sheets of 24"x22" matte paper, or about 2.25 hours for all of them.
I took a five minute video of the process. It really gives you a different perspective when you can see the way you work! Hope you dig the tunes. It's not much of a... tune.
Came out with a few beauties, much like this one:
The completed designs, the first to be carved, and the latter three to be lasered, all on MDF board.
This is the final design that I settled on -- but of course, it's not laser-ready, or even split into layers at this point. Oh, boy. This is fun!
(I do mean it. It's fun. But my BRAIN's having quite the week already.)